[asterisk-dev] Implementing Paging on the Linksys SPA9XX phones

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Wed May 24 23:33:07 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 17:22 -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> > It may be as simple as specifying what type of "paging" a given device
> > supports (if any) in the config files for the device. If a given device
> > is then included in a page group then asterisk would handle each device
> > in its own way.
>
> No, that is the simple part, because it's in the channel drivers.
> Channel drivers don't know what 'paging' is, they only understand
> channels, which can be attached to anything at all.

Thanks for your advice. At least it keeps me from going down dead ends.

I've been giving this some thought over the last few days and I want to
follow up with one more question.

Given your above statement about channel drivers, would it not make
sense to implement RTP broadcast paging as a new channel driver?
chan_broadcast or chan_page perhaps? I'm thinking chan_sip could be used
as a starting point.

Some config options could be added to sip.conf or perhaps to its own
config file which indicates which type of page each client device will
respond to. A chan_page channel driver could even accommodate a variety
of different paging styles for different devices and even non-broadcast
style pages.

Does this sound like a viable method of implementing this feature?

--
John Lange