[asterisk-dev] make install in zaptel copies modules to wrong location with Ubuntu 5.10

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri May 19 12:07:04 MST 2006

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Mike Fedyk wrote:
>
>> One possible solution is to just copy the kernel modules in the zaptel
>> Makefile instead of calling the kernel Makefile.  What do you think?
>
> We used to do that, but switched to using the kernel's Makefile because
> it is both more proper and easier to deal with distros that put things
> in odd places.
>
> However, if your distro kernel's sources do not match the running
> kernel, then you will have problems, as you experienced. Even the
> suggestion of overriding the KVERS variable on the make command line
> won't help, if /lib/modules/<foo>-${EXTRAVERSION}/build doesn't exist.
>
> In other words: this is very much a distro bug. If /lib/modules/`uname
> -r`/build/Makefile does not contain the same version/extraversion
> strings as `uname -r` reports, then the kernel sources are borked.

I can back Kevin's comments up 100% since I just went through the same
issue with a newly installed fc5 this week. In my case, the
/lib/modules/<foo>-${EXTRAVERSION}/build
didn't end up pointing to the correct kernel source (eg, headers). Took
a while to figure out exactly where it should have been pointed.

R.