[asterisk-dev] make install in zaptel copies modules to wrong location with Ubuntu 5.10

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri May 19 11:33:01 MST 2006

Mike Fedyk wrote:

> One possible solution is to just copy the kernel modules in the zaptel
> Makefile instead of calling the kernel Makefile.  What do you think?

We used to do that, but switched to using the kernel's Makefile because
it is both more proper and easier to deal with distros that put things
in odd places.

However, if your distro kernel's sources do not match the running
kernel, then you will have problems, as you experienced. Even the
suggestion of overriding the KVERS variable on the make command line
won't help, if /lib/modules/<foo>-${EXTRAVERSION}/build doesn't exist.

In other words: this is very much a distro bug. If /lib/modules/`uname
-r`/build/Makefile does not contain the same version/extraversion
strings as `uname -r` reports, then the kernel sources are borked.