[asterisk-dev] Zaptel udev checking svn 1064

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed May 17 10:48:59 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 12:34 -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Patrick wrote:
>
> > The zaptel udev script that was just checked in does not seem to take
> > into account one thing: on FC5 there are a bunch of zaptel rules in
> > /etc/udev/rules.d/50-rules.udev. Those need to be commented out (iirc
> > followed by a udevstart) for the new rules to become active.
>
> That is nothing new. We can't worry about distros that bundle their own
> Zaptel rules, there are just too many variations. The system
> administrator will need to be aware of that and take action on their
> own, or the rules installed by 'make install' won't be used.

We shouldn't need to comment out any rules if we name the file that we
install "/etc/udev/rules.d/10-zaptel.rules".

See: http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html#basics

        Files in /etc/udev/rules.d/ are parsed in lexical order. udev
        will stop processing rules as soon as it finds a matching rule
        in a file for the new item of hardware that has been detected.
        It is important that your own rules get processed before the
        udev defaults, otherwise your own naming schemes will not take
        effect! I suggest that you keep your own rules in a file
        at /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules (this doesn't exist by
        default - create it). As 10 comes before 50, you know that your
        rules will be looked at first. It is important that the
        filenames of your rule files end with the .rules suffix,
        otherwise they will not be used.

Jeff