[asterisk-dev] New chan_iax media-only transfers: questions

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue May 16 14:10:00 MST 2006

SteveK wrote:

> And the shortcut is added:
>
> A <-> C [media frames],
>
> Then, if C disappears off the network, then B would know it (via the
> usual mechanisms, PING/PONG, etc), and would be able to notify A (and
> vice-versa).  It seems like something to test in practice, though.

I don't know enough about IAX2 to know whether this is true or not...
under what circumstances are PING frames generated at all? They
certainly aren't mini frames, so I can't see how A would ever send one
directly to C.

This is a valid concern... unless B (the machine in the middle) is
sending PINGs to C and will notice that it has disappeared, then kill
entire bridge.