[asterisk-dev] New chan_iax media-only transfers: questions

SteveK stevek at stevek.com
Sun May 14 18:04:08 MST 2006

On May 14, 2006, at 9:32 AM, Stephen Davies wrote:

> On 11/05/06, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:
>> Stephen Davies wrote:
>>
>> > 1) Can we still detect in a reasonable time when the receiver has
>> > "disappeared" at the IP level
>>
>> I'm not sure what you really mean here.
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> What I mean is; if we are no longer sending frames that need
> acknowledgement, then there is the possibility that we just keep on
> and on sending frames into thin air when the other side has
> disappeared off the network,
>
> Long ago Asterisk's RTP could get caught out like this and burn up a
> lot of bandwidth until you "soft hangup"ed the call...

I would imagine that, if the scenario looks like this:

A <-> B <-> C  [all full frames]

And the shortcut is added:

A <-> C [media frames],

Then, if C disappears off the network, then B would know it (via the
usual mechanisms, PING/PONG, etc), and would be able to notify A (and
vice-versa).  It seems like something to test in practice, though.

-SteveK