[asterisk-dev] Hardwareless PCI Card Simulator

Derek Smithies derek at indranet.co.nz
Tue May 9 15:11:26 MST 2006

Hi,

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Hugo Saporetti Junior wrote:
> I would like to know if there's any software to simulate a PCI WCFXO
> card. If so, where could I download it? I want to use it with
> Zaptel/Asterisk. Regards

This is one of those questions that has been posed many times in the past.
The typical answer is
  "no, not possible" and "the timing won't allow it" etc.

These statements are correct, but I have yet to see an explanation of why
the timing will not allow it.

The reason why no software to simulate a card is very simple:

 Every millisecond, there is one interrupt generated by the card. The
driver has to collect 8 bytes for each active channel from the card.
Thus, it is not inconceivable for the driver to have to collect 240 bytes
from the card every millisecond.

This places a noticable load on the PCI bus. With other activity on the
bus (database acccess etc) you will get missed data transfers, and the
audio quality will drop.

Current computers cannot (close, but not yet) simulate the one
interrupt per ms. Once computers get another couple of orders of
magnitude faster it may be possible.

Derek.
--
Derek Smithies Ph.D.                 Any fool can write code that
IndraNet Technologies Ltd.                a computer can understand.