Re: [asterisk-dev] Corydon76 Issue Deleted: 0006925 ..... ( Alex ) Corydon76 Issue Deleted: 0006920 ( Alex Smirnov )

Alex Smirnov ( DigitalXXI ) smirnov at digitalxxi.ru
Wed May 3 02:34:49 MST 2006

adrldc> Message: 6
adrldc> Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 13:17:14 -0500
adrldc> From: Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com>
adrldc> Subject: Re: [asterisk-dev] Corydon76      Issue Deleted: 0006925,
adrldc>         04-28-06        17:49 Corydon76 Issue Deleted: 0006920
adrldc> To: Asterisk Developers Mailing List <asterisk-dev at lists.digium.com>
adrldc> Message-ID: <1146593834.21306.6.camel at localhost.localdomain>
adrldc> Content-Type: text/plain

adrldc> On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 21:19 +0400, Denis Smirnov wrote:
>> S> With the exception of some codecs that are patent encumbered, you should
>> S> be using SOX for your format conversions. Don't reinvent the wheel just
>> S> to make a stretched point.
>>
>> wav file created by asterisk not wav file created by sox (look to GAIN in
>> format_wav.c).

adrldc> Doesn't matter who creates the wav file, it is a standard file format.
adrldc> As for GAIN, go look at the man page for sox, it supports gain via the
adrldc> vol function.

>> sox doesn't support G.729, G.723.1. sox doesn't support G.722.

adrldc> I know G.729 is patent encumbered, and G.723.1 I think is, So we
adrldc> shouldn't be too concerned about them. And as for G.722, why not get
adrldc> that built ito sox? I'm sure the sox group will love the additional
adrldc> codecs.

>> It would be easer to use codecs/formats in asterisk, for creating/reading
>> files created by asterisk.

adrldc> Formats, no. Codecs maybe. There is nothing special about the formats in
adrldc> asterisk. If there was something special, then they would be useless
adrldc> outside of asterisk.

>> And G.729/G.723.1 support is needed.

adrldc> Fine, you are still probably better off starting with sox with all the
adrldc> filtering built in and more codecs and all.

 1 ) Absolutely agree, it's not a asterisk task to code audio files in
 different codecs, easy to convert format is more practical , than
 amount of different codded files.

 2) What is REAL need to support such codding in * , when u can use
 any software to convert it to whatever u like ?
 ( something like split & rule :) )

 3) and just curios - any ex. for lib usability , except commercial
 software ?

--
Best regards,
 Alex                            mailto:smirnov at digitalxxi.ru