[asterisk-dev] FXO with Call Forwarding

Patrick Greene patrick.greene at evot.net
Fri Mar 31 06:59:11 MST 2006

Hi everyone,

We are using Asterisk 1.2 and have a TDM 400P installed with 2 FXO ports -
each of these is plugged into a separate PSTN line with its own phone
number. We have everything configured pretty well, but one strange issue is
occurring which I'm hoping you can shed some light on. We use call
forwarding from the PSTN provider (Verizon) when we are going to be away. In
order to turn on call forwarding, we grab an outside line and dial *72 and
then the # we want to forward to. To disable call forwarding we dial *73.
After we have forwarded our calls through Verizon, when a call rings at the
forwarded line, we get a single ring in Asterisk before the call is
forwarded. This behavior is expected as it happened with the old phone
system. However, Asterisk doesn't seem to drop that channel after that call
rings in and it will remain in the "Off Hook" state until pulling out the
phone line and plugging it back in to Asterisk. Is there a reason for this?

Sincerely,

Patrick Greene
Chief Software Architect
Evo Technologies