[asterisk-dev] Re: Support for Dialogic DM3 cards

Wai Wu wwu at Calltrol.com
Tue Mar 28 07:36:33 MST 2006

Excellent. One question, can the drive utilize onboard voice compression
(e.g. PSTN uLaw to g729a) when a call is connected to a VoIP channel
through the host computer?

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Hubbard,
Dwayne
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 9:32 PM
To: asterisk-dev at lists.digium.com
Subject: [asterisk-dev] Re: Support for Dialogic DM3 cards

The chan_dialogic channel driver will support a lot of cards which are
included in the following board families:
  - Springware and DM3 analog (D41JCT, DI0408-LS, VFX)
  - Springware and DM3 digital (T-1/E-1, 1,2,&4 span cards)
  - Springware and DM3 station interface (DI/16, DI/24, DI32, HDSI
(<=120 stations per slot)) In addition to the interface cards, there are
also some supported resource-only cards that can be used for
configurations that may require additional resources.  We are no longer
half duplex under Asterisk, as we can leverage our continuus speech
processing (CSP) functionality to provide full duplex media.  For those
out there that are familiar with Intel NetStructure and Dialogic
products; read this as, you must configure your cards with CSP capable
firmware and media loads.

We also have fax (send and receive) apps that work with the
chan_dialogic channel driver.  I have our pre- and post-connect analysis
working inside the channel driver as well.  The call progress
(pre-connect) will be integrated into the Dial application.  Post
connect functionality isn't hooked into asterisk (yet), but will be in
the extremely near future.  Post connect includes positive answering
machine detection (PAMD), positive voice detection (PVD), fax, etc...

Regarding the questions of how tightly coupled the integration is - the
configuration file (dialogic.conf) provides an Asterisk look and feel.
Asterisk applications are abstracted to use a generic ast_channel - the
chan_dialogic driver fits easily into this model.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.
-Dwayne.