[asterisk-dev] Support for Dialogic DM3 cards

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Mar 27 11:11:03 MST 2006

Anton wrote:

> not in the fair way. While for example I'll happily release
> any of my code under GNU (in other words to give it for
> free to everyone, to anytype of usage), I will not be happy
> to just donate it to some commercial, to be (possibly) used
> as their solely property in the future. That is my point.

This is contradictory and incorrect; GNU software is licensed under the
GPLv2, and is not 'free to everyone, for any type of usage'.

In addition, code contributed to Asterisk _never_ becomes the sole
property of Digium, nor are we the only party able to commercially
license that code. When you sign a disclaimer with us and contribute
code, you give us a permanent license to use that code in any way we see
fit, but you do not in any way restrict your own usage and licensing of
that code, except in ways that would conflict with the license you
already granted us (for example, you cannot grant a new, exclusive
license for that code to another party, since you cannot revoke the
license you granted to us).

When you speak about these issues, please be sure you have an extremely
clear and unbiased understanding of the licenses involved; otherwise,
you risk making statements containing factual errors that then undermine
your position and/or confuse the issue for others who read your posts :-)