[asterisk-dev] Support for Dialogic DM3 cards

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Mar 27 10:36:36 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 21:45 +0500, Anton wrote:
> Though having the drivers for HARDWARE DEVICE available for
> the business edition only, is not fair at all and probably
> commercially incorrect. Asterisk is the effort of many
> developers, and far not only digium. Moreover having
> drivers for HARDWARE available for VERY RARE used software
> - as business edition hugely limits popularity of that
> hardware. Just for example, I like very much Intel
> equipment, but I'm my self will never buy business edition
> of opensource soft and though will be forced to find
> another vendor of similar hardware.
>
> Yes, that fawors business edition, and will force some of -
> to purchase it to have those support available. But that is
> clear abuse of the work of open contributors, who created
> the software. But that is the decidion of comeercial
> palyers. Not more. And licensing issues created out of this
> and not more.
>
> It's clear IMHO

Maybe you need to slow down and think about the disclaimers all the
asterisk contributors have signed and returned to Digium. One of the
disclaimers puts your code into the public domain so any one commercial
or otherwise can use it, the other allows Digium only to re-license the
code in any way they see fit.

Many of us willingly allow Digium this concession of our code as a thank
you to Digium for having done soo much of the upfront work in getting
asterisk up and going.

Digium has stated many times before that the only code difference
between the opensource version and ABE deal with license restricted
portions like the Dialogic driver.

As you saw here, there are some pushes from inside Intel to open up
their code. Allow a bit of time for that to happen. And if you are still
so upset about it, maybe you need to move on to a different project that
doesn't upset you so much.

BTW, please do not top post, and remember to trim your message to just
the relevant portions when you do respond.