[asterisk-dev] Support for Dialogic DM3 cards

Wai Wu wwu at Calltrol.com
Sat Mar 25 08:35:01 MST 2006

I'm pushing my customers to go with Asterisk simply it is a much flexable architecture. The problem for me is that my customers (especially the one brought in large sales) are so hooked with hardware based solutions. I'm justing to find a way to have the cake and eat it. I think Digium is do the right thing by making the TC400P card, it really levels the playing field.

________________________________

From: asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com on behalf of Jared Smith
Sent: Sat 3/25/2006 9:52 AM
To: Asterisk Developers Mailing List
Subject: Re: [asterisk-dev] Support for Dialogic DM3 cards

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 22:43 -0500, Wai Wu wrote:
> What is the status for Asterisk supporting Dialogic DM3 cards and how
> much more work needs to done?

I'm not sure on the exact state of Dialogic support in Asterisk, but I
know that Intel is a Digium partner and is working towards having
Dialogic support in Asterisk.

While I was at VON last week, I got the chance to meet with the guy from
Intel that is actually writing the Dialogic driver for Asterisk.  He was
very friendly, and seemed very committed to making the Dialogic driver a
first-class channel driver in Asterisk.  He specifically mentioned
making the advanced features of the card (such as answering-machine
detection) available through the channel driver.

You'd have to ask either Intel or Digium as to the specifics of the
driver, as I seem to recall that (at least in times past) the Dialogic
driver was licensed such that it could only be used with Asterisk
Business Edition.

> I have been working with these cards for years, but * way of thinking
> (doing everything in software) does not sit well with the over all
> architecture of these cards.

You're right!  But that doesn't mean Asterisk is all wrong.  Asterisk
was written with a completely different mindset -- that the cost of CPUs
is dropping much more dramatically than the cost of DSPs or other
on-card processing equipment.  That's why most in the Asterisk community
aren't real excited about Dialogic hardware -- because they've seen that
it can be done completely in software and work OK.  I'm not trying to
say one way is better than the other, I'm just letting you know so that
you understand.

>  When do I start to look to have these boards tiely integrated with *?
> Right now, I have a very simple loosely integrated solution. Any
> ideas?

If I were you, I'd contact Digium or try to track down the right people
at Intel for more information on the Dialogic channel drivers for
Asterisk.

-Jared