[asterisk-dev] CALL FOR COMMENTS - Dialplan

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Wed Mar 15 04:43:29 MST 2006

James Gardiner wrote:

> Hello Asterisk community,
> I have written a document that covers an Asterisk implementation I am
> building.
> I want to place it on the lists so USERS can view and make comments
> on, the ideas contained within.
>
> I think it is an important issue to develop a standardised Dialplan
> for applications, not just for Asterisk, but for pbx systems in
> general.  As they become cheaper and more common place, each install
> has its own ideas of how to implement features.
>
> This makes it very hard for users to move from one system to another.
>
> In any case,
> If you have time, please do review the document and make comments to
> the list or to me directly.
>
> The document can be found at http://www.crafted.com.au/comments
> I cannot post it directly to the list as its TOO BIG.

Just one quick comment - some people prefer not to use numbers starting
with 1, 2 or 3 as their local extensions, as these overlap with
auto-attendant (e.g. "press 1 for sales, 2 for accounts, 3 for support
or dial the extension you require").  I usually start the local
extensions with a 7.  I notice you have suggested the use of numbers
starting with a 3.