[asterisk-dev] bugs a plenty - discuss....

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Thu Mar 9 03:29:19 MST 2006

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 11:08:16AM +0100, Olle E Johansson wrote:
> 9 mar 2006 kl. 10.48 skrev Luigi Rizzo:
> >
> >> Say syntax in Russian
> >> Japanese SayNumber functionality
> >> New App Saynumber, for generic way of easy internationalization
> >> http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=6207
> >> http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=5933
> >> http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=4983
> >>     Any non-english speakers here?  It seems these patches have
> >> stalled.
> >
> > the problem here is on the lead architects which have to state
> > what they want before we can move on.
>
> I would propose a two-step dance here:
>
> - Short term, there are users that need their syntax supported and
>    have provided patches.
>    Let's fix that within the current spagetti-code.

that is dangerous. The code becomes even more complex (it's not
spaghetti, it is just replicated over and over and over), and we
end up adding a new, probably partly broken as most of the various
languages are, feature that then becomes a legacy and we cannot get
rid of it.

Besides, even the new config-file-driven implementation is already
available.
Whoever has written the C code for language X would surely take
less than 1 hour to come up with a specification for language X.
This is much less than the time that a committer would take to
import the old-style patch into trunk.

If those people with a need are not willing to dedicate time to
it (or equivalently, pay someone to do it), i don't understand
why a committer should waste time on the same work.

> - Long term, we need a more generic approach to that,
>    but that won't happen before 1.4 release, so let's take that

the problem is that things are always held because of an impending release.

Last summer things were held because of 1.2;
then obviously there was a bit of mainteinance work due to the
transition of people from 1.0.x to 1.2.x, and the same exact
architectural changes are there on mantis, mostly unreviewed,
and held waiting for 1.4 to go out.

We really need to move forward.

	cheers
	luigi