[asterisk-dev] zaptel branch kernelmove: feedback please

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Jun 6 02:41:23 MST 2006

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 01:00:28PM +0400, Denis Smirnov wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 02:10:32AM +0300, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>
> TC> This is 2.6: out-of-tree builds are not that big a pain.
> TC> As for the issue of getting Zaptel inside the mainline kernel: this is a
> TC> whole differentstory and totally out of the scope of my current efforts
>
> Ooops. I mean kernel modules subtree in _zaptel_ source tree, not kernel
> tree.

Sorry, I misunderstood you.

> You say that now this is broken, and it's impossible now to use directly
> Makefile in directory with modules, and say that can fix this if it
> needed. I try to say why it can be needed :)

It is impossible because it adds no extra functionality that I can think
of, while at the same time adds unnecessary complexisty: it duplicates
the kernel version detection "code" and such.

What functionality do you find missing? Could you give an example?

One thing that is currently not done well is the list of modules, that
is currently hard-coded in kernel/Makefile (2.6). For 2.4 it is
"inherited" from the main makefile.

The zaptel package is a bunch of kernel modules and their userspace
tools.

Tzafrir Cohen      sip:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
icq#16849755       iax:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406