[asterisk-dev] Remote WMI notification

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 09:21:23 MST 2006

Hello

I am trying to get my SPA3000 to provide message waiting indication
coming from a remote server:
Setup being:
SPA3000 ->(SIP) Asterisk1 --->(IAX2) Asterisk2
and I want SPA3000 to check if there's voicemail waiting on Asterisk2.

I found this:
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=4371
and:
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=4236

I got the first one working with Asterisk 1.2.10, well at least I think so.
I can see the message waiting indication being pushed from the server
hosting the voicemail to the asterisk client...
However, I can't actually verify that it works properly, mainly
because of how the configuration works:

This is how I've configured it so far:
On Asterisk2:
in iax.conf I have:
[iax_peer_name_to_asterisk1]
type=friend
mailbox=500
host=dynamic

in voicemail.conf
voicemail_server=iax_peer_name_to_asterisk1

[default]
500 at iax_peer_name_to_asterisk1 => password,email etc..

On Asterisk1:
iax.conf:
[iax_peername_to_asterisk2]
type=friend
username=iax_peer_name_to_asterisk1
secret=..
host=asterisk2_hostname

sip.conf:
[spa3000]
mailbox=500:default at iax_peername_to_asterisk2

Am I correct?
I haven't digged too much in the source code, I'm starting to have a
good understanding but any help would be appreciated.

While obviously, the configuration is overly complex, it does have
great advantage over the 2nd solution provided by gkloepfer.
MWI is being pushed by the server to the client only when required
(e.g. the client connects, there's a new message coming, the number of
messages have changed etc), therefore limiting the amount of traffic
between the two servers: no need to poll.

On the downside, it means that the server needs to be aware that a
client wants to know about MWI.

I will port the 2nd solution to asterisk tomorrow, in the meantime I
was hoping somebody had used the patch described there:
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=4371 (originally requested by:
Chris A. Icide) and could tell me if I set up properly my two servers

Thanks in advance
JY