[asterisk-dev] 'IAX2 call variable passing between servers '

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Fri Jul 28 09:07:54 MST 2006

On Friday 28 July 2006 04:38, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> > Douglas Garstang wrote:
> >> Oh, that's a real shame, because this really limits the usefulness
> >> of DUNDi.
> >
> > Correct, although you could probably hack your way in a controlled
> > environment by prefixing or suffixing encoded variables to the $
> > {EXTEN} :-)
>
> ...which is extremely ugly, but which I ended up doing to get around
> this. Passing vars in IAX2 has been in the talk for years, but
> obviously someone doesn't see the usefulness of this.

It would be really nice if Asterisk could just sort of sense what the
administrator wanted it to do, but there's this little issue called
reality that we have to deal with.

There are huge problems with passing variables, and if you restrict
the passing of variables down as John Todd said in a previous email,
then there's no advantage to them over simply encoding the values you
want to pass directly in the dial string.

--
Tilghman