[asterisk-dev] Opinions requested: BUG ID 0007063: new app_voicemail feature

Nic Bellamy nicb-lists at vadacom.co.nz
Wed Jul 26 21:35:29 MST 2006

Mitch Sharp wrote:
>I submitted a patch to Mantis a while back adding the ability to use 1-9
>to escape to an extension vm1-vm9 while listening to a busy or
>unavailable greeting in app_voicemail.  It was requested that I add this
>ability to extend while you were leaving a message as well.  I took a
>look at the code to add this feature while leaving a message as well.
>Numbers 1, 2, and 3 are already taken by other features while leaving a
>voicemail (because the function that is used it also used for other
>recording features of app_voicemail), which leaves 4-9 available. There
>is a switch statement that has left 4-9 open for future features (like
>this one). My question is how many of those 6 keys should we use here
>and how many should we leave open for other future features?
>
>Another option would be to use double digits for the out, but I haven't
>really looked into it that hard yet. I await opinions from the wise ones
>out there!

What about the possibility of using an exit context, much like you can
with queues: if the number dialed exists as a VoiceMail app option, it
handles it, otherwise it looks it up in the exit context, and if it
exists (or matches, eg. allowing dialling of extensions or whatever),
jumps to it.

Not that I'm a wise one, but it sounds good to me, as you'd then have
single/multiple digit options, all configurable from the dialplan.

Cheers,
    Nic.

--
Nic Bellamy,