[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Core Dumps

Kohler, Jeffrey J.Kohler at TechSmith.com
Fri Jul 21 05:20:33 MST 2006

I've been experiencing some Asterisk crashes and was trying to look at
the core dumps to figure out what is going wrong.  Unfortunately I'm not
really even sure where to start.  (I'm a Windows developer by trade so
please excuse my ignorance)

Here's what I've done so far:

-          run Asterisk with the safe_asterisk script

-          when Asterisk crashed it produced a dump file - core.21713

-          From a command line, I ran gdb

-          # core-file /tmp/core.21713

-          # bt

-

I did get a stack trace, however, it simply lists a series of addresses.
How can I get symbolic information to make sense of this?

Is there a better method of examining core files?

Thanks