[asterisk-dev] Using the Video Hardware as a DSP?

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Sat Jul 15 13:49:10 MST 2006

Haider Raza wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I have only recently started using Asterisk and after doing a couple
> of stress tests I noticed choppy phone calls. Anyway, back in the days
> of 386 PCs I remember that using DMA to do memory transfers to and from
> the sound card was a big thing. Every game did it. This method reduced
> the CPU load which translated into higher frame count. I also know that
> nowadays Video Hardware has become quite powerfull. There are cards with
> 256 bit Buses and high speed memory in the ranges of 256MB and 512MB. I
> was wondering how hard would it be to code (either using OpenGL or
> directly using assembler) a routine to compress / decompress audio using
> the video hardware. Somehow placing the data in a 3d World Matrix and
> having all the data displaced or "translated" into a compressed /
> decompressed "frame" of audio, which could later be played back by to
> appropriate user (remote or local). If this could be done even the
> sloppiest video hardware could work as a powerful DSP.
>
>    Or not just the Video hardware but also the Audio hardware. There are
> some pretty good audio cards out there that could do the work of
> expensive DSPs.
>
> Any thoughts?

There are MANY things that can cause choppy phone calls, only one of
these issues is related to CPU usage.

Other things that can cause choppy audio:
   VAD
   IRQ Sharing
   Network Jitter
   Poor Jitter Buffer Implementation

--
Now accepting new clients in Birmingham, Atlanta, Huntsville,
Chattanooga, and Montgomery.