[asterisk-dev] Using the Video Hardware as a DSP?

Haider Raza haider.raza at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 12:30:30 MST 2006

Hi,

    I have only recently started using Asterisk and after doing a couple of
stress tests I noticed choppy phone calls. Anyway, back in the days of 386
PCs I remember that using DMA to do memory transfers to and from the sound
card was a big thing. Every game did it. This method reduced the CPU load
which translated into higher frame count. I also know that nowadays Video
Hardware has become quite powerfull. There are cards with 256 bit Buses and
high speed memory in the ranges of 256MB and 512MB. I was wondering how hard
would it be to code (either using OpenGL or directly using assembler) a
routine to compress / decompress audio using the video hardware. Somehow
placing the data in a 3d World Matrix and having all the data displaced or
"translated" into a compressed / decompressed "frame" of audio, which could
later be played back by to appropriate user (remote or local). If this could
be done even the sloppiest video hardware could work as a powerful DSP.

   Or not just the Video hardware but also the Audio hardware. There are
some pretty good audio cards out there that could do the work of expensive
DSPs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Haider Raza