[asterisk-dev] Escaping of # in URI?

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Sun Jan 22 11:21:03 MST 2006

I've just been experimenting with reSIProcate and noticed that it
escapes the # symbol in URIs (writing it as %23), while Asterisk sends
it un-escaped.

Meanwhile, according to RFC 2396, section 2.4.3, `#' shouldn't be used
in a URI at all.  Obviously this raises issues in a telecoms
environment, with `#' being present on almost every telephone keypad.

Can anyone suggest what is the correct behaviour - escaped or un-escaped
- and has this issue been discussed already in this or any other forums?

I've already discovered that by sending calls to a carrier's Nextone
gateway with the escaped URI, the `#' is not recognised and consequently
the calls are rejected.