[asterisk-dev] Re: ztdummy question

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Jan 21 05:38:48 MST 2006

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 10:14:44AM +0000, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> In article <43D14D89.8010506 at kinex.net>, Sean Cook <scook at kinex.net> wrote:
> >
> > with the changes to the ztdummy to rely on rtc vs jiffies, I am now
> > forced to increase the interrupt frequency time by roughly 10x the
> > frequency recommended for the SMP processing systems.
> >
> > Is this wise?  Or would it be better to not assume that the CONFIG_HZ ==
> > 1000 and base the calculation on what ever HZ is set to?
>
> You should make sure that USE_RTC is defined, and then you WON'T depend
> on the value of HZ in the kernel, because the interrupts will be generated
> by the RTC chip and not hooked into the kernel jiffy clock.

What reason is there not to set USE_RTC, assuming my kernel provides the
necessary timer interface?

Is there a better check for the timer interface at CPP time other than
the kernel version? Any specific CONFIG_ macro to check for? CONFIG_RTC?
CONFIG_GEN_RTC?

Is it possible that an x86 PC will not support RTC even if there is
kernel-level support?

What about other architectures? amd64 comes to mind as an archtecture
that works with a somewhat similar hardware.

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com