[asterisk-dev] ztdummy question

Ben Lear benlear at benlear.com
Fri Jan 20 18:03:14 MST 2006

Sean wrote:

> with the changes to the ztdummy to rely on rtc vs jiffies, I
> am now forced to increase the interrupt frequency time by
> roughly 10x the frequency recommended for the SMP processing systems.
>
> Is this wise?  Or would it be better to not assume that the
> CONFIG_HZ == 1000 and base the calculation on what ever HZ is set to?

Increasing the timer chip periodic interrupt frequency to 1000HZ would most
probbably introduce a noticeable performance downgrade under linux. I am a
little vauge here on purpose as I can only really speak from experience when
doing a similar thing on windoze. Under the windoze environment setting a
1ms system resolution introduced noticeable  performance
downgrade(especially on low end hardware, top end not so much), however a
setting of 2ms interestingly showed negligible difference.

> Maybe for me the solution is to not rely on ztdummy at all (
> i will be using a te210P in this server ).
>
> If I am way off on this question, i apologize... it just seem strange.

Hmmmm... If your increasing the system time resolution then all timer
functions would inherit resolution accuracy, therefore you could just use
standard timing functions.. Yes ?

Cheers,

Ben.