[Asterisk-Dev] WAS: click-to-call cleint NOW: XML Manager I/F str aw poll

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Jan 17 18:00:50 MST 2006

Steven wrote:

> To add another reason why asterisk probably won't have a native XML
> interface comes down to licensing. Right now the main asterisk tree
> contains code that is either owned by Digium, Licensed to Digium for
> free, or is covered under a free-er license for the developer than the
> GPL. To add an XML parser, we would either need to find a suitable BSD,
> LGPL maybe, or similarly licensed library or write one from scratch.

That already exists, so there is no licensing issue. It is, however, a
rather significant dependency to add.

More importantly, none of the manager action/event/response information
in Asterisk code is currently 'structured' in any way, so there is no
way to generate/accept XML for those items. Doing so would require
auditing and re-working every single module that interacts with the
manager interface. While that would be a very worthwhile effort, it is
certainly not trivial.