[Asterisk-Dev] Re: click-to-call cleint

Saul Diaz saul at cripiland.com
Tue Jan 17 15:59:07 MST 2006

Matt Riddell (IT) wrote:

> Colin Anderson wrote:
>
>>> XML doesn't need to go into the manager, you can use a seperate
>>> program for that (manager proxy).
>>

>> Well, this is the controversy, isn't it? Proxies do exist, but
>> because the
>> Manager does not "speak" XML itself and XML is not part of Asterisk
>> proper,
>> proxy implementations differ depending on who is doing the
>> implementation.
>> Because of this difference, XML support is a constantly moving target
>> that
>> will never be implemented in a standardized format (common schema),
>> making
>> the use of XML itself pointless. There is a *huge* advantage with
>> being to
>> leverage the gajillion XML parsers out there as opposed to
>> reinventing the
>> wheel every time someone wants to interact with the Manager.
>> With XML support, I could write a very useful and detailed Manager
>> client in
>> a couple of dozen lines of code in the language of my choice. But
>> because
>> XML support is not there, I have to spend time on making a parser
>> that will
>> be wildly incompatible with everyone else's parser out there. Or, I
>> use a
>> proxy, and my client is bound by whatever the proxy spits out, and can't
>> "speak" to anyone else's proxy implementation.
>

> Each to their own.  If Manager spoke XML, I'd convert it into
> something less yuck.
>
> Have you ever tried initiating a session via XML with a terminal that
> doesn't support backspace...
>
> Parsing XML requires a hell of a lot more weight than parsing the
> current format.
>
> Sure, if you remove the XML parser from the equation, it smaller, but
> if you remove the manager parser it's smaller too.
>
> Tell you the honest truth, I just don't like XML.  Waste of bits.
>
> :)

Matt question..

Now that we are talking about the manager..

sippeers and iaxpeers in the manager have a very different view in the
manager

could be possible make iaxpeers looks like sippeers? which i think looks
lots better..

and add iaxpeer to see a particular peer like like sippeer.. i am
willing to make the work. what procedures needs to be done to include
the code inside the asterisk svn

regards
Saul Diaz