[Asterisk-Dev] Re: click-to-call cleint

Phil Menico pmenico at XTEND.COM
Tue Jan 17 07:05:10 MST 2006

Paul,

Can you give us the details on this:

"a .call file is sent to asterisk, which then calls you, detects pickup,
and then calls the remote party. "

I am interested in making this work.

Thank you.

Phil Menico

XTEND Communications

 -----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Paul
Davidson
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 7:45 AM
To: asterisk-dev at lists.digium.com
Subject: [Asterisk-Dev] Re: click-to-call cleint

	Matt-

	I have implemented such a thing- but you need to first define
your scope a little better (or perhaps you have, and simply haven't
articulated it fully here).  From your posting, I could read your
requirements one of two ways- either you're looking for a VoIP capable
Web based softphone that you want to use, or you're simply looking to
have a call initiate from a web page.  Incidentally, both are off-topic
for the asterisk-dev list, as neither have to do with the development of
the Asterisk project itself- you may have more luck on the
asterisk-users list.

	If what you're looking for is a web based VoIP client, you may
be out of luck.  There's been rumors of such things, but most have been
tied up with licensing issues, or simply don't work.  Java is one way to
go on this- you'd be looking at cracking the books on it, and I'd hope
you'd contribute it back to the community- but I'd expect to hear back
from you in a few years.

	If you're looking for the ability to click on a link and have a
call initiate- then this is well within the realm of possibility- I've
implemented this before.  The secret is defining your two devices- the
clickee's device (softphone that's already running, or hardphone you can
identify in advance), and the clicked party's device (most likely a
number on the PSTN or at least external to you).  The latter is handled
through dialplan- no magic there.  The former is really up to you- the
softphone client has no restrictions, find one you like.  You can
potentially feed a dialstring to the softphone from the Web client- DIAX
allows for that, amoung others- and that's by far the simplest manner.
My app uses dialback- you click, a .call file is sent to asterisk, which
then calls you, detects pickup, and then calls the remote party.
Clients love it- no more calling cards, their home Asterisk server can
call them at cheap LD rates (or better), and the call is set up to their
cell phone- in the US, there's a lot of 'incoming minutes are free'
plans, so the costs are very attractive.  But.. no javascript is
required- I wrote my app in PHP, but you could write one in any
client-side scripting language.

	-Paul Davidson
	 PlanCommunications, LLC