[Asterisk-Dev] zaptel echo preload

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Jan 14 19:45:44 MST 2006

James Harper wrote:

>I'm tinkering with a patch to preload echo coefficients at channel
>creation time instead of it starting from scratch each time a call is
>started.
>
>Anyone want to have a look once I have something that works?
>
>Any comments as to if this is a good idea or not? Currently I get quite
>a few seconds of echo before it stabilises, so I think that having
>something preloaded in there is better than starting from zero. Once I
>get it going I'll be able to comment with more authority though :)
>
>James

It depends on what you are trying to achieve.

If you are using an analogue interface, it is likely the strongest echo
will be from your local telephone exchange's line card. This should be
pretty consistent from call to call, so using the same pre-tuned
starting point for each call should have benefits. The canceller still
needs to adapt to the echo from the far end telephone, but you have
probably helped reduce the initial echo heard.

If you are using a digital interface (BRI. E1, T1, J1) the echo you need
to cancel is only from the far end. Since there is no consistency from
call to call, a pre-tuned echo is completely useless for this case.

Steve