[Asterisk-Dev] Re: Voicemail to email volume change patch

Mike Taht mike.taht at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 15:50:12 MST 2006

On 1/13/06, Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 15:03 -0600, Robert A. Thompson wrote:
>
> You do not send $1.00, it is actually supposed to be payed to you(I
> believe). It was explained to me at one time that the contract that you
> are signing doesn't have as much standing if there wasn't some form of
> valuable item exchanged. The $1.00 is the valuable item that helps the
> legal system determin that this is a valid and enforceable contract. The
> $1.00 also does not really make or break Digium or you.

I note that this has been a dollar since at least the 1940s, so at one time,
it was a reasonable amount for a basic contract. A lovely dissection of this
contractual compensation issue is in Richard Feynman's "I want my dollah"
story where he ultimately dispenses with the proceeds from his patents on
the nuclear airplane and nuclear rocket...

I've often wondered if the copyright assignments to the FSF for example were
legal as they did not include the dollar... And I do wish this "formality"
had been indexed for inflation.

I note as a complete aside that seeing this conversation go by gave me an
idea for vmail  - vmail via RSS. Anybody tried doing that?

--
Mike Taht
PostCards From the Bleeding Edge