[Asterisk-Dev] A few driver ideas...

kpj at junghanns.net kpj at junghanns.net
Thu Jan 5 08:04:34 MST 2006

>> Yes, libpri is handling the signalling in userspace. It has the big
>> advantage that you can make modifications to the stack without risking
>> blow up your whole kernel.
>
> Is there a libbri, or is that all handled inside libpri?

It's all in libpri (no need to duplicate code).

>> It also increases portability. On what systems does mISDN run? Linux?
> ;-)
>> I am currently preparing to port BRIstuff to OS-X.
>
> Sounds good.
>

>> I am not familiar with the Tigerjet chipset. Can you get a 1khz timer
> out
>> of it? If yes, a zaptel driver is possible.
>
> I've had a bit of a look around the datasheets and can't see if that's
> possible or not, but nothing obvious leaps out. About zaptel timing, is
> the timing supposed to come from the card which is in turn supposed to
> come from the [BP]RI interface? Or does the card just need a 1Khz clock
> (or something you can derive 1Khz from) on it. And in that case, would
> it be sufficient just to use the system timer a-la ztdummy? I assume
> not, but if you know the reasons I'd love to know!

The card/chipset needs to have a 1khz timer that fires an IRQ.
This timer should be derived from the BRI line.
You cannot easily use a different timing source (like ztdummy) because
it is not synchronized to the BRI line. I tried this with RTAI (realtime
application interface) support for the zaphfc driver.

> Assuming it can't generate the 1Khz timing, would it still work in a
> system with another card that could do zaptel timing?

No.

> Thanks
>
> James

Klaus