[Asterisk-Dev] A few driver ideas...

James Harper james.harper at bendigoit.com.au
Thu Jan 5 05:34:05 MST 2006

> > Ah. That makes some sense. So where is the protocol stack handled if
> > zaptel is doing layer 1? Userspace?
>
> Yes, libpri is handling the signalling in userspace. It has the big
> advantage that you can make modifications to the stack without risking
> blow up your whole kernel.

Is there a libbri, or is that all handled inside libpri?

> It also increases portability. On what systems does mISDN run? Linux?
;-)
> I am currently preparing to port BRIstuff to OS-X.

Sounds good.

> > It's supported by the hisax driver and users the 'Tigerjet320' PCI
> > chipset and a Siemens ISAC. If that doesn't help I can probably find
out
> > more...
>
> I am not familiar with the Tigerjet chipset. Can you get a 1khz timer
out
> of it? If yes, a zaptel driver is possible.

I've had a bit of a look around the datasheets and can't see if that's
possible or not, but nothing obvious leaps out. About zaptel timing, is
the timing supposed to come from the card which is in turn supposed to
come from the [BP]RI interface? Or does the card just need a 1Khz clock
(or something you can derive 1Khz from) on it. And in that case, would
it be sufficient just to use the system timer a-la ztdummy? I assume
not, but if you know the reasons I'd love to know!

Assuming it can't generate the 1Khz timing, would it still work in a
system with another card that could do zaptel timing?

Thanks

James