[asterisk-dev] Re: Best sound format / sample rate for french translated Asterisk sounds?

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Thu Feb 23 12:55:05 MST 2006

In article <6C0CF58A187DA5479245E0830AF84F421D09C1 at poweredge.attiksystem.ch>,
Philippe Lang <philippe.lang at attiksystem.ch> wrote:

> We have just finished the recording of the french translations of the
> Asterisk 1.2.X sounds. For the moment, it a WAV with CD quality sample rate.
> (WAV PCM 44.1kHz, 16 bits, stéréo, 172 kbits/s)
>
> The english sounds are in GSM format: are we supposed to use the same
> format, or is it possible to have a better sound quality with another
> format? I don't think file size or CPU charge is really a issue for the
> moment, our Asterisk installation is not supposed to replace a 100 users
> PBX. Sound quality is much more important. And quality loss is huge with the
> GSM format...

You would be best to provide them in all the common native formats that
Asterisk can use (and keep the high-quality originals for reference).

Kris Kielhofner did that very exercise for English prompts. See his post
at http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2006-February/145787.html

I believe Kris has made available his scripts to automate the process.

Cheers
Tony

--
Tony Mountifield