[asterisk-dev] COMPILE ERROR - branch 1.2 r9861 - /branches/1.2/asterisk.c

Armin Schindler armin at melware.de
Tue Feb 14 09:48:09 MST 2006

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Armin Schindler wrote:
>
> > When using setuid() or similar functions, the dumpable flag for the process
> > is deleted. With prctl(PR_SET_DUMPABLE,...) this flag is set again to create
> > core dumps again.
> >
> > I added this to openpbx just yesterday. I'm wondering if putting this into
> > asterisk may be against Digiums rules, because it is GPL without signed
> > disclaimer?
>
> That's a tough call. Even if this block of code was not disclaimed, it
> is such a small and simple change that likely copyright does not attach
> to it. In addition, if anyone else was tasked with fixing this bug, they
> likely would have created identical (or nearly so) code, so it would be
> difficult to claim that there is copyrightable property here.

I don't have a problem with that. I found the problem and its fix, but I don't claim anything.
A "thanks to ..." would be nice ;-)
Totally agreed on "difficult to claim that there is copyrightable property
here".
I was just refering to a small patch (one-liner as well) for a fix in app_disa I sent
via the bug-tracker months ago and someone did insist on a signed
disclaimer....

> With that said... this should not have been merged without a disclaimer,
> just on principle alone. I have told everyone that simple fixes (one
> liners, typos, just moving code from one place to another etc.) are OK
> to accept without a disclaimer, but this clearly does not fall into that
> category.

If so, how will you deal with that?

Armin