[asterisk-dev] COMPILE ERROR - branch 1.2 r9861 - /branches/1.2/asterisk.c

BJ Weschke bweschke at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 08:59:54 MST 2006

On 2/14/06, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:
> Armin Schindler wrote:
>
> > When using setuid() or similar functions, the dumpable flag for the process
> > is deleted. With prctl(PR_SET_DUMPABLE,...) this flag is set again to create
> > core dumps again.
> >
> > I added this to openpbx just yesterday. I'm wondering if putting this into
> > asterisk may be against Digiums rules, because it is GPL without signed
> > disclaimer?
>
> That's a tough call. Even if this block of code was not disclaimed, it
> is such a small and simple change that likely copyright does not attach
> to it. In addition, if anyone else was tasked with fixing this bug, they
> likely would have created identical (or nearly so) code, so it would be
> difficult to claim that there is copyrightable property here.
>
> With that said... this should not have been merged without a disclaimer,
> just on principle alone. I have told everyone that simple fixes (one
> liners, typos, just moving code from one place to another etc.) are OK
> to accept without a disclaimer, but this clearly does not fall into that
> category.

 The only similarity to the code that was merged into Asterisk /trunk
and 1.2 branch was the prctl call itself, and as Kevin stated, there's
not really any other way to make sure the dump flag is set. The rest
of the patch (small as it was) was put together by someone that does
have a signed disclaimer on file with Digium (namely myself).

--
Bird's The Word Technologies, Inc.
http://www.btwtech.com/