[asterisk-dev] IBM BladeServer / Clustered Linux

Alexander Lopez Alex.Lopez at opsys.com
Mon Feb 13 15:09:10 MST 2006

> > Dropping the calls that are in flight is much closer to reality.
>
> I am not an expert and know far to little to put this forward
> but the way I see it the following might work with only a few
> packets lost:
> Distribute call setup info to all nodes in the cluster, so
> they all think they have the call set up (this needs
> modification so they don't actually do anything: no packets
> forwarded without packets arriving).
> If a node goes down the management software tells another
> node to use ARP to take over the failed nodes IP details.
> A few packets are lost in the interim but the call could
> maybe continue.

VoIP may not always send a steady stream of packets. When do you know
when to 'switch over' by the time you have made that call. The user has
probably hung up after saying Hello, Hello, Hello a few times and is
probably re-dialing before you even know there is a problem.

The best self-healing network is the users in-patience