[asterisk-dev] Of loops and spirals

Enzo Michelangeli enzomich at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 01:25:04 MST 2006

I have recently encountered a situation where Asterisk, in my opinion,
gets it wrong.

I have my Asterisk registered on two FWD accounts, let's call them 1111
and 2222, defined in two separate sections of sip.conf, [fwd1] and [fwd2].
The registration of 2222 is made with a contact equal to
3333@[myAsterisk'sIPaddress], through the line:

register => 2222:pwd2 at fwd.pulver.com/3333

...so that when someone calls 2222 at fwd.pulver.com this results in a call
to my extension 3333 (handled in extensions.conf).

Now, with a user agent also registered on the same Asterisk, I try to
place a call to 2222 through the first account (the one of 1111):

... Dial(SIP/2222 at fwd1)

Asterisk receives the INVITE from the UA, generates an INVITE to
2222 at fwd.pulver.com with a "From:" header pointing to 1111 at fwd.pulver.com
and a "Contact:" header pointing to 1111@[myAsterisk'sIPaddress] .
Everything's normal so far.

After the authentication challenge etc., FWD accepts the call to 2222; but
due to the fact that 2222 had a registration with "Contact:"
3333@[myAsterisk'sIPaddress] , FWD correctly generates an INVITE for
sip:3333@[myAsterisk'sIPaddress] , with "To:" header pointing to
2222 at fwd.pulver.com and "From:" header pointing to 1111 at fwd.pulver.com :

  INVITE sip:3333@@[myAsterisk'sIPaddress] SIP/2.0
  Max-Forwards: 10
  Record-Route: <sip:2222 at 69.90.155.70;ftag=as4848a450;lr=on>
  Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 69.90.155.70;branch=z9hG4bK2d81.5d452272.0
  Via: SIP/2.0/UDP [myAsterisk'sIPaddress]:5060;branch=z9hG4bK0e33411f