[asterisk-dev] Exchange data between channels at the time of a Dial

Christian Richter christian.richter at beronet.com
Thu Feb 2 06:46:00 MST 2006

Hi Ricardo,

Ricardo Monteiro wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m new to Asterisk development, I’m in my first steps...
>
> I’m having problems to find detailed information of some of the
> internal mechanism of this great software, I can see that are some
> effort in place but not yet a full documentation (which is normal, I
> would say).
>
> What I would like to know is the right way to pass some data I have on
> the zap channel side (chan_zap.c) to the SIP channel when the Sip
> channel is dialed from a Zap channel. What is the correct mechanism to
> use? Is it possible using pbx_builtin_setvar_helper() and
> pbx_builtin_getvar_helper() functions?

Yeah, this is a good dircetion. The channelvariables are passed from the
originating channel to the destination channel by app_dial.

> Thanks for any tip that can push me in the right direction.
>
> BTW, what I’m trying to do is to accomplish the following (as I stated
> on a message on the asterisk.org forum but with no help so far):
>
> I'm trying to pass user-user information from a PRI call setup to a
> SIP INVITE, and vice versa (Probably I will add the info to the SDP).
>
> I confirmed that the information is available on the libpri, and I
> believe it is also available on the chan_zap but have not yet
> confirmed this last point at runtime.
>
> My question is how I can pass this information on a bridged call from
> the Zap channel to the SIP channel. What mechanisms are available on
> Asterisk to do this kind of things?

well i think the channelvariables are the most flexible way to do this,
you can of course hack asterisk and add a user-user field to channel.h
and fill it by chan_zap, copy it by app_dial and read it by chan_sip and
vice versa.