[asterisk-dev] Update coding guidelines

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun Dec 31 08:34:05 MST 2006

On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 08:50:30AM +0100, SF Markus Elfring wrote:

> >Could you please point to one specific place in the code?
> >
> Would you like to look at the variable variations like "app", "synopsis"
> and "descrip"?
> Use cases:
> http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/trunk/apps/app_alarmreceiver.c?rev=46339&view=markup
> http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/trunk/apps/app_skel.c?rev=40722&view=markup
> http://asterisk.org/doxygen/1.4/pbx_8h.html#b58400cbaac5b16c9ca258339394f3c1

So I guess that the question to ask here is: is there is actually any
use to those variables being non-const? Is there any application that
has some use of changing the description on reload?

I cannot recall any such use. I believe that in this case patches for
adding the const would be welcomed. Though this is just MHO. Have you
added there const-s where necessary and verified all to still compile?

BTW: is there really a point to the following disclaimer on the
documentation of app_alarmreceiver.c:

  * *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING ***
  *
  * Use at your own risk. Please consult the GNU GPL license document included with Asterisk.         *
  *
  * *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING ***

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com