[asterisk-dev] Re: Improvement of coding practices

SF Markus Elfring elfring at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 28 09:27:23 MST 2006

> Features with patches, however, do properly exist in the bugtracker, as they
> are prospective additions, not pie-in-the-sky proposals for new functionality.

I imagine that there are useful suggestions that need more time than you
might expect to gain popularity and acceptance.

> Proposals for new functionality (without patches) are properly discussed on
> this list.
This results in maintenance of two information channels.

> That is the only way to ensure that all developers have a chance
> to notice and contribute to the discussion.
No, not from a technical viewpoint. It depends on which system gets the
focus and critical mass of attention.
A mailing list can become overloaded. How many traffic can the readers
cope with? Additional tools help to filter and follow only the
interesting topics from various discussions.

> It is otherwise very easy to miss a discussion on the bugtracker.

I see this opinion as a matter of taste which software is seen as
appropriate for efficient communication.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_issue_tracking_systems

Software like Mantis or SourceForge trackers provides notifications for
updated items.

Regards,
Markus