[asterisk-dev] Re: Improvement of coding practices

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Dec 28 07:56:42 MST 2006

On Thursday 28 December 2006 03:33, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> Tilghman Lesher <tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 27 December 2006 07:46, SF Markus Elfring wrote:
> > > Some of my suggestions are also in the waiting queue that can be seen
> > > in the bug/feature request tracker.
> >
> > It is a bugtracker only.  Feature requests properly belong on the Wiki,
> > not on the bugtracker.
>
> Despite the bug tracker having a project called "Feature Requests" and a
> report severity called "feature"?

It formerly did track Feature Requests, but we usually only permit those to
remain open for a few days.  If there is no prospective patch, then the bug is
set to Suspended state and closed (to be reopened when a prospective patch
is uploaded to the bug).

Features with patches, however, do properly exist in the bugtracker, as they
are prospective additions, not pie-in-the-sky proposals for new functionality.
Proposals for new functionality (without patches) are properly discussed on
this list.  That is the only way to ensure that all developers have a chance
to notice and contribute to the discussion.  It is otherwise very easy to miss
a discussion on the bugtracker.

> If this policy has changed (and I'm not at all convinced it should), then
> the guidelines ought to reflect this.

I'm sure someone will find the time at some point to revise the text.

--
Tilghman