[asterisk-dev] Re: Improvement of coding practices

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Dec 28 08:02:11 MST 2006

On Thursday 28 December 2006 07:14, Jonathan k. Creasy wrote:
> Tony Mountifield wrote:
> > Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > >
> > > It is a bugtracker only.  Feature requests properly belong on the
> > > Wiki, not on the bugtracker.
> >
> > Despite the bug tracker having a project called "Feature Requests" and
> > a report severity called "feature"?
> >
> > Also, in the bug guidelines, under "So, what is the purpose of the
> > bugtracker?", it says "The secondary use is to track feature requests,
> > which are not as critical as bugs and which will receive second
> > priority in all cases."
> >
> > If this policy has changed (and I'm not at all convinced it should),
> > then the guidelines ought to reflect this.
>
> I am 100% against changing that policy if anyone is thinking of doing
> so. The best way to see, test, document and discuss new features is in
> the tracker. Removing new feature requests/features from this system
> would put an artificial limit on the community.

The policy has already been in place for some time.  However, I want to
point out the difference between a feature request, in which no code is
uploaded and a feature, in which prospective code is uploaded to the bug.
Features (with code) absolutely belong in the bugtracker and will continue
to be there for the foreseeable future.  Requests (without code) should be
added to the bounty page on the Wiki.

--
Tilghman