[asterisk-dev] /dev/zap/(channel no) ends on 255 and unable tomake more

Paul Cadach paul at odt.east.telecom.kz
Fri Dec 22 13:20:20 MST 2006

Hi,

/dev/zap/<channel no> used mostly for non-specific tools (like dd
if=/dev/zap/1 of=/tmp/chan1_mon.alaw ;-) ). Real channel drivers and
zaptel-specific tools should use /dev/zap/channel interface instead. You can
easily update chan_ss7 to use /dev/zap/channel mechanism (just look how it
is implemented in chan_zap already - it is additional ioctl() call to bind
the descriptor to specific Zaptel channel).

As for DEVFS, it's not plays any role. Most limitation is by design of /dev/
filesystem in *nix-systems which uses one-byte major and minor numbers to
identify device node. Zaptel uses its own major number, so it have limited
to 256 only minor device numbers, and few of them are reserved for specific
devices (like /dev/zap/channel, /dev/zap/timer, /dev/zap/pseudo).

WBR,
Paul.