[asterisk-dev] /dev/zap/(channel no) ends on 255 and unable to make more

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Dec 22 12:07:07 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-22 at 22:49 +0500, Anton wrote:
> Guys,
>
> In a system with more than 8xE1 it's impossible to access
> to /dev/zap/(channel no) channels higher than 255. ZAPTEL
> Makefile generates only 255 instances and adjusting
> Makefile to be generating more of them, makes any nodes
> over 255 to be anyway dead (attempt to access returns (for
> instance 256's node) "Cannot open "256" No such device or
> address (6)" error. If someone could please give a clue how
> to make them accessible, it will be highly appreciated. Is
> it a linux limitation or just a variable in Zaptel sources?
> Please help.

Seems that if you are accessing the /dev/zap/(chan no) directly that
this doesn't involve asterisk.

There is a method to get to those upper channels. I remember reading
about it, but can't remember where in the _CODE_ I remember seeing it
right off hand.

Maybe a moment of running through the code is what is in order here.