[asterisk-dev] -netsec sip_destroy_hook annoyance, libmidcom proposed change

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Dec 4 09:46:41 MST 2006

Matthew Rubenstein wrote:
> 	I heard on this list last week that -netsec factors out the RTP server
> so it can be controlled across a network by an asterisk process. Which
> would allow a different RTP server than the one bundled with Asterisk to
> be used, like an existing RTP server, if the new RTP server exposed the
> same control API that the -netsec RTP server exposed. Does that not seem
> correct to you, after examining the -netsec version?

You heard incorrectly. While it is possible using the netsec branch to
have an external device/process do a simple RTP bridge, I'd say this is
a far cry from an 'RTP server'. For example, it does not support the
ability to map payload types between the peers, or to do transcoding. It
may in the near future support the ability to monitor the traffic and
echo RFC2833 frames to Asterisk (so that DTMF controlled features can
still be used with an external RTP bridge), but that functionality has
not been merged yet.