[asterisk-dev] RTP Packetization (bugid 5162)

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Thu Aug 31 14:33:36 MST 2006

<snip>

>> I'd be happy to make a pass at a patch to address these issues, but I
>> will not be able to test the results.  If any of the developers
familiar
>> with these channels are interested and can spare the cycles to test
the
>> results, please let me know

> If you were to provide a (disclaimed) patch for skinny, I could test
it
> with a couple devices.  It looks like the protocol does allow
different
> packet sizes, but I guess there is only one way to find out, right?
I have a disclaimer on file (DEA), so what's mine is yours...

> As a starting point, you'll probably want to have a good look at the
> packetSize var in the start_media_transmission_message struct.  Try
not
> to hardcode it to ulaw too much - I intend on giving that part of the
code
> an overhaul someday soon. ;)
I did see the packetSize var, and do know that the SCCP loads on the
phones
handle packetization of up to 60ms for [ua]law and G.729.  I have not
pushed
them past that point, but suspect they would handle more.

A bigger concern is adding endpoint preferences, and/or replacing the
global:
int capability
-with-
struct ast_codec_pref prefs

Then making sure that all uses of 'capability' are properly updated.

I'll start in it and let you know how far I get.

Dan

--
Jason Parker
Digium