[asterisk-dev] IAX2 'extensions'

Kenny Shumard kshumard at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 11:25:16 MST 2006

On 8/23/06, Thomas Andrews <tandrews at grok.co.za> wrote:
> What is the correct/appropriate way (if possible) to use IAX2 to send
> info between two asterisk servers that is not call-related?
>
> Let's say I change the configuration (eg using realtime) of a server,
> and I want to be able to propagate the change to another server. Is
> there any provision in IAX2 to be able to send some kind of message
> across?

The IAX protocol describes a text frame that can be used to carry
arbitrary text that is not related to call control. You can use an AGI
script and the send_text and receive_text commands to move text frames
back and forth. Of course, these basic tools don't create the call the
text frames will pass on. Nor do they process the data when it gets to
the other side. But the pieces are there to move data via IAX between
two asterisk servers, without using the recent patch posted on Mantis.

It's worth pointing out that at that point you're not really getting
much value out of the data transmission carrier being IAX; you might
as well use rsync or scp or some other tool.

~Kenny Shumard
Digium