[asterisk-dev] IAX2 'extensions'

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Aug 23 10:33:09 MST 2006

On Wednesday 23 August 2006 12:31, Thomas Andrews wrote:
> What is the correct/appropriate way (if possible) to use IAX2 to send
> info between two asterisk servers that is not call-related?

There isn't one.

> Let's say I change the configuration (eg using realtime) of a server,
> and I want to be able to propagate the change to another server. Is
> there any provision in IAX2 to be able to send some kind of message
> across?

They only thing you can really do right now is to use Tilghman's patch which
will let you send variables across when you Dial().  It's under bug number
7619.  It rocks.

> I looked at http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-guy-iax-01.txt but
> I can't really see anything appropriate. Using something like the
> firmware download facility on page 91 could do it, but that's a really
> ugly hack.

If it's not really call-related, then a protocol doesn't really exist within
Asterisk to transfer that data.  IAX2 has this feature now, although
begrudgingly.  :-)

-A.