[asterisk-dev] Re: russell: trunk r40153 - in /trunk: acinclude.m4 configure configure.ac

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Aug 17 07:06:17 MST 2006

----- Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.clara.co.uk> wrote:
> So what are the potential problems with not using version 3.81 or
> later of
> GNU Make?  Please can some effort be put into removing this
> restriction?

We have found that GNU Make versions 3.79 and 3.80 are very prone to segfault and buggy behavior when using documented GNU Make behavior (functionality that has been documented to be available since before 3.79 was released). We found these issues when improving the Makefiles and simplifying them.

Yes, it is possible to produce versions of the Makefiles that will not have this requirement, but it would likely require removing some of that simplification. Once Asterisk 1.4 is in beta mode and the Makefiles will not be changing any more, I think it might be reasonable to use these less-simplified Makefiles in the release branch only.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Senior Software Engineer