[asterisk-dev] Re: Re: Zaptel drivers Part 2

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Aug 10 13:18:38 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 15:12 -0500, Tim Johnson - Eclipse Electronic
Systems wrote:
> I guess what I'm really trying to do is read data that has been received
> on this interface in a specific channel.  Yes, the data is audio, but I
> don't care if the system recognizes it as audio or not since my code is
> going to be dealing with sending it out to the sound card.  Right now,
> all I want to do is send 0x55555555 (for example) into the Digium E1
> card on span 1 channel 1, and be able to read this data (or a variation
> that I can work with) out with the driver.
>
> Say all I wanted to do was send plain old binary data across this link,
> into that Digium/Zaptel/Pri card, how can I access it?  Is it even
> possible to access it?  Is there document that helps explain this, or
> some code that might be doing something similar?

Maybe you would be better suited to using clear channels. Remove any
telephony signalling from the channels. Then you might be able to go
back to using the /dev/zap/1 method for reading the data. Just remember
that there isn't a buffer so you need to be able to service the channel
quickly or you may lose audio over the link.